RECIPE: Crispy oven baked chicken wings
GAME day foods are the most mouthwatering, and can be so creative. Usually, there’s a chicken wing or two on everyone’s game day plate, but this year, I’m inviting you all to take a break from the traditional, and try these epic dry-rubbed baked chicken wings!
Chicken wings are supposed to be deep fried and tossed in a spicy sauce right? But what if I told you that these baked chicken wings are every bit as tasty as the traditional variety… in fact, they’re utterly fantastic?
Seriously, I’m a huge wing fan, and these knocked my socks off. I meant to save some for my husband after the photoshoot was finished… and well, let’s just say there was nothing left for him to try!
Now, let’s get to the recipe…
- 1.8kg Irvine’s Chicken Wings
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 1 tbsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsps coarse salt
- 2 tsps dried thyme
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- Blue cheese or ranch dressing, or barbecue sauce, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 230C. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl, toss the Irvine’s Chicken Wings with lemon juice. Add pepper, garlic and onion powders, and salt. Add thyme, crushing it between your fingers as you go. Add cayenne and melted butter. Stir mixture thoroughly, then arrange wings in one layer on baking sheet.
- Cook for 20 minutes, then rotate sheet and flip wings. Cook until wings are browned and cooked through, about another 10 minutes. Serve with desired dipping sauce.